Paul Deatherage is an active performer and educator in the central Kentucky area. He is a versatile percussionist, experienced in many areas including jazz, concert, marching, and world percussion.
BMME: Tennessee Technological University (2005)
MM: University of Kentucky (2009)
Paul attended Tennessee Technological University, where he studied with Joseph Rasmussen and completed his Bachelors Degree in Music Education in December, 2005. While living in Cookeville he also studied with Eric Willie and Bill Bachman. Paul moved to Lexington in 2007 to study with James B. Campbell and John Willmarth, while pursuing his Master’s Degree in Percussion Performance at the University of Kentucky. He completed his M.M. in May, 2009.
Paul leads a varied teaching career, working with students at middle school, high school and college levels. Paul currently teaches drumset at the University of Kentucky. He is also on percussion staff at Lafayette High School Band, an 18-time marching band state champion. In addition, he maintains a private teaching studio at Don Wilson Music in Lexington.
Paul has a very active career as a freelance percussionist. He currently holds the drumset chair for the DiMartino / Osland Jazz Orchestra, the Osland / Dailey Jazztet, the Raleigh Dailey Trio, the Walnut Street Ramblers, Sound Foundry jazz quartet, the jazz power trio, Barry Mando Project, and the classic rock/funk cover band, Deep Cutz.
Paul has performed in a variety of musical situations including large and small jazz ensembles, percussion ensembles, marching bands, orchestras, the Tennessee Tech Tuba Ensemble, and the University of Kentucky steel band. He has performed with the Lexington Philharmonic Orchestra, with Rakadu (Middle Eastern belly dance ensemble), with Abusua (The TTU West African dance ensemble) and with the Sound/Vision ensemble, performing contemporary classical compositions.
Notable performances include:
- Greg Abate and the Raleigh Dailey Trio in Phil Woods Tribute Concert, University Of Kentucky (Oct, 2016)
- Mario Pavone, Dave Ballou and the UK Nonet in Thomas Chapin Tribute Concert, University of Kentucky (Sep, 2016)
- Wycliffe Gordon and the Walnut Street Trio at Great American Brass Band Festival Symposium (Jun, 2016)
- Raleigh Dailey Trio and Special Guests at Wycliffe Gordon’s Wedding Reception (Nov, 2015)
- Jim Snidero and the Raleigh Dailey Trio at University of Kentucky (Nov, 2015)
- Guest artist and clinician at Tennessee Technological University with the Raleigh Dailey Trio (Nov, 2015)
- Wycliffe Gordon CD Release party with the DiMartino-Osland Jazz Orchestra at Comedy Off Broadway (Oct, 2015)
- Wycliffe Gordon, Al Hood, and the Raleigh Dailey Trio at the Great American Brass Band Festival (June, 2015)
- Guest artist at the University of Iowa with the Raleigh Dailey Trio (Nov, 2014)
- Howard Levy and the Osland / Dailey Jazztet performance at Natasha’s Bistro (Oct, 2014)
- Malcolm-Jamal Warner and the Ron McCurdy Quartet at University of Akron (Oct, 2014)
- Zach Brock and the Raleigh Dailey Trio performance at the Downtown Arts Center, Lexington (Aug, 2014)
- Jeff Coffin and the Osland / Dailey Jazztet performance at Natasha’s Bistro (Mar, 2014)
- Presenter at the Alabama Percussive Arts Society Chapter Day of Percussion. Clinic, “Soloing in Jazz: Foot Ostinatos, Form and Max Roach” (Mar, 2014)
- Bob Mintzer, Wycliffe Gordon, the Osland / Dailey Jazztet and the UK Jazz Ensemble at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic, Chicago (Dec, 2013)
- Arturo Sandoval, the Osland / Dailey Jazztet and the UK Wind Symphony (Dec, 2013)
- Wycliffe Gordon and the DiMartino / Osland Jazz Orchestra recording session (Sep, 2013)
- Doc Severensen and the DiMartino / Osland Jazz Orchestra at Comedy off Broadway (Jan, 2013)
- Morehead University Faculty Group, Bluegrass Inaugural Ball, Washington D.C. (Jan, 2013)
- Barry Mando Project at the Master Musicians Festival (Jul, 2012)
- Doc Severensen, Allen Vizzutti, and the DiMartino / Osland Jazz Orchestra at The Great American Brass Band Festival (Jun, 2012)
- Joe Lovano and the Osland / Dailey Jazztet at the North Sea Jazz Festival, Rotterdam, the Netherlands (Jul, 2011)
- Osland / Dailey Jazztet at the Montreux Jazz Festival, Montreux, Switzerland (Jul, 2011)
- Presenter at the Kentucky Percussive Arts Society Day of Percussion. Clinic, “Interaction and Internalization” (Mar, 2011)
- Walnut Street Ragtime Ramblers tour of Spain (Jan, 2011)
- Bob Mintzer and the UK Jazz Ensemble recording session for the album, GO! (8651-MCD) (April, 2009)
- Bob Mintzer and the UK Jazz Ensemble at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic (Dec, 2007)
- Arlo Guthrie and the UK Symphony Orchestra at Carnegie Hall, New York (Nov, 2007)
- UK Percussion Ensemble at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention (Nov, 2007)
- Tennessee Tech University Alumni All-Star Tuba Ensemble at Carnegie Hall, New York (Jan, 2007)
- Tennessee Tech University Tuba Ensemble at Carnegie Hall, New York (Jan, 2003)